Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Typewriter spotting Hong Kong (again)

I decided to revisit Apliu St. in Sham Shui Po in Kowloon to see if any new typers came up since my last visit here. And Olympias seem to reign this visit. There was a Monica sitting with a pile of used stuff with the street vendors and I saw a Kofa which I never heard of but looked like a cheap 80s machine (couldn't get a photo of that). Inside store number 253 ( someone requested the address last time so I bothered to find out this trip) I found two shrink wrapped again. An sm9 and sg1 I believe.

I saw a typewriter sitting in a basket on the sidewalk in Sheung Wan while I was in a taxi but haven't been able to revisit it since to see if they had more.

Hopefully I'll spot a few more before I leave. Any typewriter collectors in Hong Kong?? Email me, I'm here for another week.







7 comments:

  1. Oh nice! I miss the markets in Sham Shui Po. And so many of those 'tech' stores. They were great while I was living there.

    Ahhhh Could you buy me one of those Olympias in the latter photo and post it down to AU? :D I'll pay of course!

    Hang on. My calcuations in my head are a mess... What's the exchange rate again (*SIGH*)

    I did see someone from HK in the forums a month or so ago. You might be able to have a type in yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When and how long were you in Hkg?
      Hk$ 850 is = US$ 110 I think. Too pricey IMO.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, you're right... I actually thought around that, and then dismissed it thinking I must be wrong.

      Never mind. Hope you're enjoying your trip. Where are you?

      I was in HK for about 8 months, back in 2004.

      Delete
  2. I thought they had written the price in marker on the machine and I shuddered but then I saw the plastic wrap :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also think there was someone from Hong Kong posting in one of the Yahoo groups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are the forums I was thinking about. I haven't seen them since though. Glad I wasn't the only one... I was beginning to wonder if I'd just seen things.

      Delete
  4. hi,
    where i can buy typewriter in tseung kwan o or northpoint

    ReplyDelete