Saturday, February 16, 2013

Hello Chief!

Tower Chieftain III (Sears Skyriter)

I finally got to photograph this typer. It was the last addition of 2012. It was a remnant of my California restoration days with the racing Skyriters. I had wanted to refurb a Tower Chieftain to add to the squadron. Took me a while to find one on eBay. Now the problem is I don't have the space, i.e. a garage to do all the work. NYC living is tight and tiny. It's also winter so I don't want the fumes in the apt. This project will have to be put on hold until time suitable...

Say Hello, Chief! For some reason I hear the voice of Jack Nicholson in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I don't even know if he even says that line in the movie, but I'm imagining.

I did take an inventory of my last years guilty pleasure purchases of typewriters. I totaled 12. Which I guess isn't that bad, considering the addiction. But it also averages one a month, which is totally outrageous for someone who originally just wanted to get one typewriter to write on. There is no denying that I've become a collector now. I'll have to do a full roll call of my collection in another post one day. I just wish I didn't feel as guilty as I do. I know many in the typosphere who find it odd, and maybe one day it will be a guilt-free process for me too, but as it stands, still feeling guilty. :))


This photo may hint to how I will pimp this into a racer if I keep to my original plans by the time I get to it.

13 comments:

  1. I really like that last photo, well done. How does the Chieftan type, action-wise? Is he worthy of keeping as a good portable typer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I haven't tried it out yet. It needs a good cleaning so I just pulled it out to photograph and then back in the box it came in. This may be the first typer I have done this with now that I think about it. Usually I can't wait to test drive them but since this was a project oriented purchase, I didn't do it. Shameful of me. May have to pull it out again but too lazy. :)

      Delete
  2. Nice looking Chieftain. You sound like many of us. Set out to buy a typewriter and end up having several. In my case I wanted a different one than what I had. In just over a year I have around 30 and I gave several away on top of that. Wife just does not understand why I need so many typewriters and they just keep on multiplying. I fully understand lack of space. We have a very small house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Chieftain. I've been tempted to go for a Tower, since they are basically a rebranded Smith-Corona. And thanks for following my blog, too. I had a look at your profile. Fountain pens, cameras, typewriters. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear you were me!
    Nice blog layout too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting that many of us are into the same cluster of things. I wonder why.

      Delete
    2. Everything happens faster these days. I was buying a couple of ice creams and a carton of milk at a petrol (gas) station the other day and, as soon as the dude behind the counter handed me my change, he said "Next!", while I was fumbling with trying to put the change into my wallet and pick up the ice creams and milk. I saw a bumper sticker once that said;"I am not in YOUR hurry." I decided to adopt that philosophy. Fountain pens, film cameras, typewriters and mechanical wristwatches (yep, I got quite a few of those)all hark back to an age when people used to take a little more time with things. Everybody was a little more polite and everything got done a little better.
      Society started going downhill when the microwave oven was invented. That's my take.

      Delete
    3. That's pretty funny, you and I are pretty similar. I don't own a microwave. :)

      Delete
  4. Yeah, I've been getting 1-2 typewriters a month for 19 years now and it adds up! No need to feel guilty, though, unless there's a partner whose time/money/space your collection is chewing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still working on getting to your zen state of collecting. :))

      Delete
  5. Ahh, yes - that should be a nice typer. I have one of those in much rougher shape, missing its backplate that says "Chieftan III". It's my favorite Skyriter-style machine to type on, though. I especially like the carriage return lever and the carrying case that came with these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's strange. In the UK Chieftain would only bring one thing to mind (apart from a tribal elder of course) and that's a tank!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings --as you are in NYC, perhaps you'd like to attend the first Manhattan Type-IN.

    It's set for Sun., 21 April, 1-4 p.m. , at Theatre 80, 80 St. Marks Place in the East Village just off 1st Ave.

    Full details at www.phillytyper.com

    thanks et cheers
    -- Mike McGettigan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, I have over 100 typewriters from my great-grandfather, please, let me know if you have any interest at kmn_atanasov at yahoo.com

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete