Saturday, July 7, 2012

Typewriter Spotting in New York City:

Sorry, I disappeared for a bit from the typosphere. I made a misjudgment of planning a vacation before a cross country move, and it's come to bite me back now with the pile of stuff I must do. Anyhow, here are some spottings in the Big Apple.
Sale on cloths, not the typerwriters! : )
Rag and Bone, what appears to be a clothing boutique, has chosen this summer season's window display to be of typewriters (or maybe it's permanent). These were various window displays from their stores around Manhattan.

This was a very cool store in Williamsburg. I think it was called dijital (I'll need to check on that).

6 comments:

  1. A neat way to display what, must have been, unwanted typewriters. They are of no use to keychoppers, except perhaps the Royal KHM, and have, at least, found purpose in some hi-end artsy clothes store.
    There is a store a few miles from me, one of those artsy hipster (I hope I am using the term correctly) places with loads of space, but barely any product. They sell, among other things, records and old books, no better than those found at Goodwill, for outrageous prices. Their typewriters, of which they have about half a dozen, are even more outrageous. $60 for a Sears electric? C'mon, now. And the manuals? Forget about it, unless you want to pay about $150 for an SM4 without the top of the case in 'vintage' or 'rustic' condition, as they call it.
    One way or another, at least they are being appreciated in some way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to know that typewriters continue to be perceived as interesting and attractive in trendy places.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats a good looking window display... only beat by victoria's secret :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A late response to say: I wish I had known you were in NYC. My office is 2 blocks away from Rag 'n' Bone. It's me and 40 typewriters (or so) in 76 square feet. BTW, typewriters were a real lure this year for stores in NYC: there's an optician on Delancey street who's got some frames on a 40s Remington Noiseless, and a paper store on 18th Street got local repair shop Grammercy Typewriter to lend a couple of machines to beckon people behind the plate glass. Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A late response back: Firstly, I've relocated to NYC now and I would love to visit your collection and maybe post some photos of it on my blog if you're interested. Please email me!

      Delete